About Me

Don't Be In The Dark About Our Legal System

Hello, I'm Karla Mitchell. Going through a legal case can be very expensive and challenging. I won't go into details, but I recently underwent my own legal battle that lasted several years. It is finally over and I successfully received a settlement, but I had to spend so much time studying law in order to play my role in my own court case. While I found a great attorney at one point, I felt completely lost initially and I don't want anyone else to experience the same thing. So I decided to create this blog for those who would like to know more about law.


Latest Posts

Don't Be In The Dark About Our Legal System

Seeking Child Custody When You're A Non-Biological Parent: 3 Types Of Evidence You'll Need

by Andrew Martin

In today's society and culture, approximately 50% of all North American children will see their parents' marriage dissolve. Many will also see their parent's second marriage dissolve as well. It's not unusual for couples to get married and have a child from another relationship. It's also not unusual for non-biological parents to get attached to the child and consider them as their own. If you're contemplating a divorce but would still like to maintain a relationship or care for your partner's child from another relationship, you can try to file for custody. Here are 3 types of evidence you'll need to build a strong case.

The Type of Relationship You Have with the Child

In general, for a non-biological parent to even be a contender for custody, they must be able to prove that they have a good relationship with the child. This usually means that the non-biological parent has spent a considerable amount of time in the child's life and that the child considers the non-biological parent to be family. You can provide marriage certificates to prove the length of time that you have been in the child's life, and you can even provide additional evidence, such as witness testimony from teachers that you are an active part of the child's life and receipts that you pay for the child's extracurricular activities.

Proof that the Biological Parent Is Unfit

It's also much easier for you to gain custody over a child if you can prove that the biological parent is unfit or that the biological parent has deserted the child. Your child custody lawyer will want to dig up information on your former spouse, such as whether they have a criminal history or whether there are any witnesses around that can attest to the fact that they are an unfit parent.

Evidence that Custody Is in the Child's Best Interest

The court wants to grant custody to biological and non-biological parents that can prove that they have the child's best interest at heart. Pay stubs that show you have a constant source of income can prove that you are financially fit if the biological parent does not have a job or any source of income. Photographs of the child's room in your house can also prove that it is in the child's best interest to stay with you so that there are minimal changes in their life.


Just because you're the non-biological parent, it doesn't mean that you have to give up hopes of getting custody over the child. A child custody lawyer from a law firm like Granowitz, White & Weber Attorneys at Law can help you determine whether you have sufficient evidence to build a case and what your next steps should be.